Sunday, October 03, 2004

Loving PostgreSQL

Just started using PostgreSQL and I have to say the experience has been so positive. I have used MySQL a little bit. It works fairly well. But PostgreSQL so far has been so great that I have not encountered any problem.

Those pros of PostgreSQL over MySQL that I care:
  1. Unicode support. MySQL has official Unicode support in 4.1 series. But it's been so long and it's still not production yet. Unicode with MySQL is just too hard right now. It wasted too much of my time.
  2. BSD licence. MySQL has grown more commerical than ever.
It's quite rare that when you start using something new, you don't encounter any issue. I think PostgreSQL team has done a fantastic job. It makes me believe so much more how the positive first experience can shape someone's opinion on a new product.