Wednesday, December 08, 2004

JDO

Listened to a JDO presentation given by Solarmetric's CTO Patrick Lindsey at SVJUG's monthly event at Netscape campus (where I used to work; the trees have grown a lot in the last 3 years) tonight. Nothing in technical details. I looked at JDO almost 3 years ago and had a very bad impression of the lavish complexity of its API. Recent good experience of Hibernate has not helped in generating any new interest in JDO. Maybe it's time again to see whether the transparent persistence approach that JDO advocates has actually improved in its usefulness in reality.

On a separate note, as I was sitting there listening, I was thinking how much the speaker has to connect with the real needs of the audience to engage their interest. All the good features won't matter if they don't improve my everyday life. Got to try to do well in that respect when I present.